Blessing of Mangawhai Central
December 3, 2018
TE URI O HAU TAUMATA KAUNIHERA – Blessing of Mangawhai Central
Viranda Partners attended a blessing ceremony for the land known as Mangawhai Central, our large-scale development in Mangawhai. It was an honour to mark the occasion with prominent members attending from Te Uri o Hau.
The mood was celebratory, with positive discussion around the stages of the development, along with a commitment from the Mangawhai Central project team to keep the lines of communication open with Te Uri o Hau Settlement Trust who gave a clear message; “this is not a city development, let’s get the flavour right.”
Despite poor weather, when Kaumatua Ben Hita undertook the blessing, the sky brightened and the rain lifted. With the land now blessed and its spiritual significance acknowledged, it feels fitting for the development to move forward with its exciting endeavours.
Te Uri o Hau Taumata Kaunihera (Working Group) – Seated from the back of the tent coming forward as follows:
- Ben Hita (Waikaretu/Pouto)
- Ben de Thierry (Oruawharo)
- Rangi Mitchelson (Te Pounga/Kaiwaka)
- Wikitoria Wright (Waikaretu/Pouto)
- Hazel Kaio (Otamatea/ Maungaturoto)
- Liz Mitchelson (Te Pounga/Kaiwaka)
- Te Uri o Hau Settlement Trust CEO: Jonathan Rishworth (back towards the camera).
- Te Uri o Hau Settlement Trust/Environs Holdings Manager: Stephen Brown (as above).
- Te Uri o Hau Kaitiaki (Otamatea) and Environs Cultural Resource Management Consultant: Shereen Worthington (attended but out of shot).